Updated UK indicators

  • Out-of-work benefit recipients:
    • first graph (over time): the rise in the number of unemployed claimants in recent years has more than offset all the reductions in the previous decade. Despite this rise, the biggest group of benefit claimants remains those who are sick or disabled.
    • second graph (by reason): two-fifths of all claimants of out-of-work disability benefits have mental or behaviour disorders.
    • third graph (by age): two-fifths of all working-age claimants of out-of-work disability benefits are aged less than 45.
    • fourth graph and map (by region): almost twice as many working-age people in the North East and Wales are claimants of out-of-work benefits as in the South East.
  • Long-term working-age recipients of out-of-work benefits:
    • first graph (over time): most working-age people receiving a key out-of-work benefit for two years or more are sick or disabled.
    • second graph (by reason): almost half of all long-term claimants of out-of-work disability benefits have mental or behaviour disorders.
    • third graph (by age): two-thirds of the long-term claimants of out-of-work disability benefits are aged less than 55 and a third are aged less than 45.
  • Concentrations of worklessness:
    • first graph (over time): overall, claimant numbers have followed similar trends in both the areas with the most claimants and the areas with the least claimants.
    • second graph (rates): 30% of working-age people receive out-of-work benefits in the areas with the highest concentrations. This compares with 12% in areas with average concentrations.
    • third graph (shares): 40% of working-age recipients of out-of-work benefits live in a fifth of small areas, whilst the other 60% live outside of these areas.